Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A.Shay Hahn, Smudges and Lines First Post



Hey there it's A.Shay Hahn and my FOURTH blog, "Smudges and Lines". This blog is going to focus exclusively on comics and drawing. The other blogs are pretty specialized, the mad craft shoppe is for my paintings and illustration projects, Any How Town is for my books and dioramas, the alphabet shoppe is for my kids letters and this will be for comics.
I have always read comics, they are the first love of my life creatively, I still read and buy comics it was the first job that I ever wanted but going to University changed all of that. I still read comics but became a painter instead.
I talk endlessly at the mad craft shoppe and Any How Town about drawing, how I wish I had more time to draw, how I'm terrible at it etc. so I've begun this blog to fix that problem. Here I'll be focusing on comic panels, character sketches, comic reviews - anything that has to do with paper and ink.
The top three photos are of my first attempt in a long time to draw a comic panel, something simple just two guys talking in a dilapidated courtyard, I am not happy with this piece at all , but this blog is going to be about improvement so every day I'm going to try and draw one or two panels and post them here with my thoughts on the process.
I can't come down to hard on myself with this panel but what I want to learn about with this piece is line weight and making the important areas stand out - it's obvious that didn't happen.
I'm going to get back to drawing and hopefully get the next panel in this series finished, who knows what the dialogue will be or where the story goes, but that's all part of the discovery.
The inspiration for the first panels, the three panel page, is from Darwyn Cooke's "The New Frontier" a recent purchase that I've wanted to pick up for awhile. I love his "firm sketch" approach to his work, the simplicity of his panels is deceptive, everything is there that needs to be there.
back to the boards,
A.Shay Hahn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment