Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Good News and Bad News



The Good News is that I finished my very first professional comics job, I was contacted by Eric Freitas who has a comic available on comixology (via monkeybrain comics) called Amazing Forest, his partner in crime in this venture is Ulises Farinas a very talented artist whose work is reminiscent of Geof Darrow. I have one of their books called, "Gamma" and it was a fun one-shot issue so when I received an email asking me to do this story and saw the name Freitas I knew exactly who was getting in touch with me. I received the script over a month ago but wasn't able to get to it until the first of December due to other work obligations.
I knew it was going to be a tight deadline to this drawn, inked, coloured and lettered before Christmas, because what good is a Christmas story submitted after the 25th, so I said I'd have it done by the 14th. My schedule was pretty empty so I was able to dedicate full days to getting the work finished and I turned in the story on Monday.
The feedback is received was "OMG this is unbelievable!" so I feel pretty good about that.
 
The Bad News, I was not accepted for TCAF 2015, this does not surprise me, at the time of applying for the festival I was still finishing the comics to send to the printers, so on end of the TCAF my application would look almost incomplete - what if the books weren't finished? what if they don't arrive on time. I'm sure my application was risky and with over 700 applicants I know there were folks who applied who were more ready than I would appear. This is fine there are many cons to sell my books at and coming in February at Seven Crowns tattoo you'll be able to buy them (they will also be available online and in some Toronto shops).
So there you have it, the good and the bad but one way to look at what has happened is this, nine months ago I started drawing a comic book, now I am a professional, that's a pretty good timeline.
 
I am now creating the drawings for my show at Seven Crowns so expect to see a lot of posts over the next month and a half.
cheers,
A.Shay Hahn
 

No comments:

Post a Comment