Thursday, December 11, 2014

Physical Sample Copies, Smiles, Tears of Joy





As I was heading out to walk the dog yesterday I found this envelope in the mailbox, our dog, Double is excitable and a bit manic and going for a walk gets him jacked up and crazy so there was no way that I'd be able to open the envelope until I got back from our walk.
I spent most of the walk completely distracted, worried that I made a mistake in my proofing and that there would be pages that repeated and I would have 1000 comics that I couldn't sell.
At around 5:30 pm I opened the envelope and looked at the covers of my first comics but I couldn't open them and read them yet, I wanted to surprise my wife who had been in a business meeting for about 12 hours straight  and decorate the house for Christmas, wrap some gifts for my nephews and clean up a bunch of piles of stuff on the dining room table which I have to clear off since we're having six or seven people over to watch Kung Fu movies and eat cheese and meat , it's a Kung-Futerie.
I finally sat down around 7pm last night with a glass of wine and went over the comics word balloon by word balloon, image by image.
They look great.
I really enjoyed the flow of the stories, the humour that was there, the homages to movies and comics that I'd added here and there, sure there were a couple of typos and a few clunky balloons but it doesn't matter these were my first books. They have the feel of comics from the 70's-80's the paper is a matte, the covers aren't gloss, they look and feel like the comics you'd roll up and put in your back pocket and that's exactly what I wanted. A sense of nostalgia, some casual fun, I think you're really going to enjoy the introduction to this comic universe I've created.
 I'm taking a day or two off this week to just let it soak in, and after all this work, and even not getting into TCAF doesn't bother me, I'm holding my comics, it feels great. 
A.Shay Hahn

No comments:

Post a Comment